To continue our efforts to help our local community, Norfolk Kitchen & Bath recently donated a full kitchen, valued at just over $9,000, to South Shore Habitat for Humanity’s latest home build in Easton, MA.
What is South Shore Habitat for Humanity?
Founded in 1986, South Shore Habitat for Humanity has built & delivered 61 homes in 21 communities on the South Shore of Massachusetts. Their mission is to build strength, stability, and self-reliance through shelter by partnering with families in need of affordable housing.
Who Qualifies for A Habitat Home?
To qualify for a Habitat home, applicants must satisfy several requirements to determine their eligibility:
- Current living conditions must demonstrate a housing need beyond the desire of owning a home.
- Applicant must possess a willingness to partner with Habitat to provide 250 sweat equity hours, per adult, volunteering on a home or other volunteer opportunity with South Shore Habitat.
- Applicant must possess a willingness to attend financial workshops before, during and after construction of the home.
- Applicant must have the ability to repay a 30-year affordable mortgage. Employment/income verification, credit checks and review of bank statements are required.
- Applicant must be a first-time homebuyer (some exceptions may apply).
Additionally, qualified applicants must be within a minimum annual income and a maximum annual income of no more than 60% of the area’s median. To learn more about applicant requirements, please visit South Shore Habitat’s website.
Easton, MA New Home Build
South Shore Habitat’s latest project was a new home build on Electric Avenue in Easton, MA for a father and his son. Building the home required donations from many local companies, including Norfolk Kitchen & Bath. Norfolk donated a full kitchen with shaker style white cabinets, hardware, laminate countertops, as well as carpenters for the installation. On March 11, 2021, Norfolk also held an employee volunteer day on site, where a small group of Norfolk volunteers spent the day tackling various finish work projects, including painting, hanging doors, securing baseboards, and more. After 2 years of being under construction due to COVID-related delays, the official Home Dedication Ceremony took place on June 19, 2021, and a very deserving family moved into their new home. Check out the project photo gallery below to see the finished product!
Community Outreach at Norfolk Kitchen & Bath
Norfolk Kitchen & Bath is passionate about helping local organizations in our community and has donated to many over the years, including Pine Street Inn, Best Buddies, Metro Housing Boston, Greater Boston Food Bank & many others. To learn more about the various ways that Norfolk helps the community, please visit our community outreach page.